Let me say up front that I’m not a fan of the American show, “Dancing With the Stars.” I suppose I tend to be a purist and prefer Fox’s show “So You Think You Can Dance.” Although I’m a figure skating fanatic, I wasn’t able to enjoy ABC’s “Skating with the Stars” or Fox’s “Skating With Celebrities.” Again, let me say that I’m a purist.
Most of my friends and family watch “Dancing With the Stars,” but I just can’t get into it. Perhaps it’s also because each season’s cast of “celebrities” never reels me in to watch.
So what would it take for me to start watching the show? A better cast! I tuned in a couple of times to watch Shawn Johnson and Kristi Yamaguchi. Apparently Apollo Ohno was good, but I’ve never been a fan of his. Olympic athletes are often make a good contestant on the show. So I decided to come up with a dream list of American Olympians I’d like to see on the show:
1. Bruce Jenner. You’ve already had two Kardashians on the show. Why not add another?
2. Greg Louganis. He’s handsome and was always a graceful, elegant diver. He’s openly gay, and his selection would help diversity in casting.
3. Mary Lou Retton. She was a darling in 1984 and has some dance experience with her gymnastics background. And who can resist her still-contagious smile?
4. Dorothy Hamill. She’s America’s Sweetheart! And because every one will want her haircut all over again.
5. Karch Kiraly. What hero for the US in both indoor and outdoor beach volleyball! It’s a no-brainer!
6. Jackie Joyner Kersee. She can compete in six different events to make up the heptathlon, but ballroom dancing isn’t one of them. How would she fair?
7. Mitch Gaylord. He’s been in the movies and “Hollywood Squares.” He’s got his SAG card. Let’s see if he’s still got that star quality!
8. Carl Lewis. He was once an aspiring dancer and singer. And if that residency issue regarding his bid to run for NJ Senate falls through, this would be a great time filler.
9. Mark Johnson. There has to be a member of the 1980 Hockey Team in the cast. It’s a requirement.
10. Janet Evans. Although she just emerged from retirement, this American darling of swimming will give Mary Lou Retton tough competition in the smile department.
11. Bonnie Blair. This is most likely a disaster waiting to happen, but she’d give it all she’s got.
12. Tenley Albright. There’s always an older contestant or two. And she’s younger than Buzz Aldrin.
13. Evelyn Ashford. A gifted athlete who was probably a bit overshadowed by Joyner-Kersee and the late Flo Jo.
14. Eric Heiden. Another no-brainer. An American hero from the 1980 Games!